Friday, June 22, 2007

What ya'll mad at me for, ya'll did it!

I was driving down the street one day not paying attention to my speed. I was speeding and because I was on the phone, I didn't notice. Well, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the berries flashing and a motorcycle cop following me. So, I pulled over, mad at the world and hating this guys guts for stopping me. He came to the car and asked If I knew I was speeding, I told him no and begged him to not give me a ticket. I told him that I didn't pay attention to my speed and he said, "you should have". I told him that I was in a hurry and he said "you shouldn't have been!" He then begin to tell me how my speeding could have hurt someone and I should be careful. Then he had the nerve to say, "have a nice day". Boy was I mad at him.

I called my boy Rondy afterwards and tore into the cop on the phone with him. I began to tell Rondy how ugly this cop was and how his momma probably didn't like him. I told Rondy that this cop was just trying to stop black people and was mad cause I had a nice car and was trying to keep a black man down. Then, as I was just about to accuse this cop of being in a secret satanic organization, Rondy stopped me. He said, "Craige, what you mad at, you was the one speeding!" I said, "yeah, but he didn't have to give me a ticket. He could have just warned me" Then Rondy spoke the words that really got my attention. He said, "that man was just doing his job and you are just mad at what you did, not what he did". That grabbed me. I asked God to forgive me for what I said and what I wish I could've said and stayed saved!

I don't read the emails or comments that come to EX Ministries. Our staff is instructed to sort out bookings, testimonies, etc. and they send me what I need to see, but never send me negative comments or foul emails. So, I don't experience the foolishness that folks try to invoke on me. But every now and then, they will tell me that we got a few people constantly sending perverse emails or angry messages because of something I said about their favorite singer. Not secular people, but Gospel ARtists. If I show what these recording artists do in our dvd's or on the internet, folks get mad and cuss us out. Nevertheless, I got one thing to say to all the fans of all the folks we may mention at EX Ministries. What ya'll mad at me for, ya'll did it!

Folks are mad because we are doing our job. We just proclaim the truth and show what is being done. Below ground stuff (personal life issues and sins) are off limits, but above ground stuff (stuff done in the public eye) is fair game! If nothing was being done contrary to the Word, we wouldn't have anything to show. If these artists were not getting in the line of fire, they would not get hit. We don't attack people, we attack the actions of people that are contrary to the Word of God. We love these guys and that's why we care. If we only cared about their talent, then we would use them for their ability to entertain us and then let them die and go to hell! We would not care what their personal lives were like, we would not care if they cried themselves to sleep every night because they only have talent validation and not personal validation. To care means to deal with them. I'm tired of seeing our musicians and minstrels in the body of Christ get used for their talent all their lives and no one ever cares enough to address their issues. I'm tired of seeing guys that were molested or raped at a young age by a church goer only to grow up and dog out the church in their songs, because of their hidden frustration and unforgiveness. These young men that are tormented by their pasts but uplifted by their talents are destructive to the body of Christ but more importantly, destroying themselves. I hurt over this condition because it could have been me! Thank God I was not raped by a man or molested by a preacher. But my concern for those that have been is to the point that I must speak out and try to help. Sure, folks think that we are harsh or unloving in our approach, but our approach is God's approach. When God cared for a people, he would call out the sins of the people and chasten them. Exposure is always the love of God for the person. If the person is not loved, then God would allow them to die just like they are, but he will chasten those that he loves and expose them if that's what it takes.

Sure, we are judgmental. -1Corinthians 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

Sure, we seem offensive. - John 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

Sure, we bring the sword. Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

And yes, we care. -2Cor. 7:12 Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

I don't want to see another church musician die of aids. I don't want to see another young boy with talent molested. I don't want to see another young girl misled or abused by clergy. So, i'm not going to just sit back and pray about it. I'm gonna speak out against it and continue to believe that God is gonna save some from it because they know the truth about it and the truth makes you free!

To every musician that has been molested, misused, abused, and hurt by clergy or the church, I feel you and understand. I was molested by some church women, but I had to get healed and set free from it. I had to get to the place where my validation was inward from God and not outward from the applause of people. I had to realize that I was more than talent and my musical ability was not all there was to me. Now, I don't desire the applause of people or the validation of a crowd. I couldn't do EX Ministries if I needed people's validation!!! We don't get that here. All I need is Jesus! And I pray that every musician, preacher, pastor, or church leader would grasp this concept. Don't let your gift or talent be all there is to you. You are much more than that and you will never overcome your struggles by seeking the applause and accolades of man because, when the people are gone and the building is empty, you will still have to deal with who you are!

Pray for our church musicians and singers. God intervene!

G. Craige Lewis