Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thirty Eight!!

Turning 38 years old today is a blessing to me. As a young black male, 38 these days is a milestone. So many of those that I graduated with are dead now because of lifestyle choices and bad living habits. And so many of our younger men have fallen off the wagon of life, it's great to be 38! I can honestly say, that I thank God for keeping me thus far and allowing me to serve him. I just worry about the younger generation. I worry about the so called "Hip Hop" generation. Those kids that want their way and want to do things their own way, with no respect for their elders and those that could steer them in a better direction. If you scan the web, and listen to the voice of the Hip Hoppers, you will see that their biggest mistake is refusing wise counsel. They refuse the counsel of the old and choose their own peers as their leaders. They speak out against any one that opposes their behavior and only listen to their own idols and those that sell the street life to make a living. Why is this?

The leadership of our black men has been distorted by the devil. The devil knows that if he destroys the image of the black male and distorts his likeness, he can destroy the African American culture. He knows that the destruction of the man is the end of all things, so, he has set up role models that are irresponsible and foolish and this causes the young men of our generation to choose fools to follow and fight against those that stand for truth and Godly principles. Even in our churches, the enemy has set up men that are either whoremongers, homosexual, or glory seekers, to govern the church and the music of our churches. These wicked men put the future of the young in jeopardy. They don't care about anyone that cannot financially support their work or put money in their pockets. When you are living like these guys live, you are only concerned about getting your own needs met and all the pleasure you can endure to prove that you are like a god! All the women, men, and money a man can gather in this life is the MO of these types of men. And when that's your concern, the youth suffer. These kinds of men don't even care about their own kids in their own houses or they would consider their ways and raise their kids right. But instead, they keep making excuses as to why they failed their kids and their families for the sake of ministry. This is a destructive pattern in our black churches and it's causing the young men of our generation to seek after fame, money, and pleasure no matter what it costs them.

Where are the examples for the next generation? I cannot tell you how many 20 year old young black men approach me in anger when I travel because they are mad about my message against Hip Hop. They argue and disagree, and want to debate. A 20 year old??? You think I'm gonna sit up and argue with a wet behind the ears youngster that just wants to get on a stage and pop-lock for Christ?? I have traveled the world with this message and stood on hundreds of stages, sold hundreds of thousands of DVD's and yet these young boys that wanna rap feel they can change my stand on this issue? Get a grip young folks. When I was 20 I was homeless, living out of a car with a basket of clothes. Fighting for my life and hating the world. But the one thing I never did was turn away wise counsel. I knew at age 20, I needed an older voice or mentor to help me see success in this life. I wanted to be a producer and get paid for making music, but when God called me to minister, I sought out men that had experience in ministry and men that had been successful in being a father! I didn't want to follow men that were big sissy's, just because they were rich! I didn't want to follow men that were whoremongers and sodomites behind closed doors just because they had television time and could get me somewhere! I sought out men that did not want credit for helping me but they just helped by example! I wasn't gonna kiss the ring or bow before nobody, but I did want to respect those that had success in life by following God's word and submitting to his will.

Only a fool will model a person that lives a life based on make believe images created by a record company or dictated by pop culture! Only a foolish man would make a thug or a gangster his mentor! Yet even in church, gospel gansters, holy thugs, saggin, corn rolled, earring wearing playas, tatooed up prison rejects are taking the stage and modeling success to our youth now. Even though their success is an illusion, they are fast becoming the role models in our churches. The devil was able to influence the streets with these images and now the church is accepting them as well. The black church is following pop culture and not God? When the leaders of the black church are selfish and only desire to please themselves, the youth suffer. After all, the youth don't have money to buy the bentley or the jet. The youth don't have the money to build the mega building or by the trophy wife some St. Johns. The youth are expenditures and not assets to these guys, so they just get baby-sat by Holy Hip Hoppers that have only one desire, and that is to take the stage and fulfill their fantasy of being a "star" like the world, but in the church!

But swift judgement is coming to these leaders that are out for their own glory and prestige. You can get by with a lot of flaws in this life and God is very merciful with us. But the minute you start messing up the lives of the children, God steps in! The bible says it like this:

Matthew 18:5 “And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. “Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

Though I'm very happy that I can see another year, I'm saddened that most of our black males are on the wrong path. Pray for the future of our kind people of God. The gangster, thug, playa, pimp image that is being promoted in our culture and in our churches only means one thing. The devil has made good evil and evil good to us and our people are suffering because of it.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

In Love,

G. Craige Lewis